What if I'm Hurt in a Car Accident, But I Don't Have Insurance?

May 2, 2016 9:00:00 AM Stan Davis Personal Injury

Louisiana law requires all owners of motor vehicles to carry liability insurance to provide financial protection if the driver or another person is hurt in an accident involving the vehicle. The minimum coverage required is:

  • $15,000 for the injury or death of a single person (yourself, a passenger, another driver, pedestrian, etc.)
  • $30,000 for the injury or death of multiple people in a single accident
  • $25,000 for property damage (i.e. damage to a vehicle)

What are the consequences of not having insurance?

Louisiana is a "no pay/no play" state regarding car insurance. This means that in order to recover in full for your damages related to an auto accident you must have the statutorily authorized minimum amount of auto insurance coverage. Under this no pay/no play rule, if you are hurt in a car accident caused by another driver’s negligence, and you were uninsured, then there are limits on the amount of damages that you can recover. You will not be able to collect the first $15,000 for damages related to bodily injury or he first $25,000 for property damage.

However, if your personal injury resulting from the auto accident requires medical treatment in excess of $15,000, you may be able to recover for the excess damages, even if you don't have the miminum required car insurance. To find out how these rules play out in your situation, the best thing to do is to speak to a Louisiana personal injury attorney about your case. The attorneys at Finch Davis are available to discuss your case, and the consultation is free. Call us today at (225) 925-9368 to make an appointment or use the button below to submit your case for a free evaluation.

Request a Free Case Evaluation